Summer Food Service

By participating in the USDA’s Summer Food Service Program, the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank provides nourishing breakfasts, lunches or snacks to thousands of children at risk of hunger. With funding administered through the Virginia Department of Education, this service is typically provided to children who receive free and reduced-price school meals. During the summer, they are served at churches, schools, recreation centers and community centers.

While many children are being fed at summer feeding sites, some families do not use this resource throughout the summer. Rather, they seek food assistance more frequently at member food pantries. It is important to us to provide nutritious food options for these families, however, we often experience a decline in donations throughout the summer months. You can help keep pantries stocked and children nourished with a small gift.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.